Sometimes my fear of second-hand embarrassment requires me to turn off the car radio completely when there is a truly terrible caller on a talk-radio show. The long pause of the hosts as they decide how to respond to a complete non-sequitor or a semi-offensive rant makes my heart race.
This also applies to overhearing failed pickup attempts in coffee shops. Don’t do it, buddy, I chant in my head, as the earnest young gentleman behind me works up all of his courage to ask for the number of the young lady he has marked as his target, who is clearly uninterested, as evidenced by the fact that she has said one word for every twenty of his.
In conclusion: second-hand embarrassment: the worst.
[Here is where I would put a gif of someone being embarrassed, if I knew how to use gifs, or even how to say “gif.”]
- thebootydontlie likes this
- sothisislife likes this
- swissmisstery likes this
- sitnexttolynn likes this
- no-evidence-of-intelligence likes this
- withperspective likes this
- tallgirltales likes this
- meredithisaleo likes this
- paperbackgirl likes this
- postgradslump likes this
- sarahb likes this
- nsomn likes this
- nsomn said: Aargh, me too! I even get really embarrassed for characters in movies.
- apatosaurus likes this
- heylaney likes this
- cadyheron likes this
- beautifullynotmundane likes this
- sotheresthat likes this
- brooklyntree said: also: please let me know when you learn how to pronounce “gif.” I think in my head I say “g-(as in gum) and if” ???
- pinotandthefig likes this
- brooklyntree likes this
- jennyjennybobenny likes this
- happyhumanscribblings said: ALWAYS
- happyhumanscribblings likes this
- thepittsburghhistoryjournal likes this
- oldmanandtheblog likes this
- emmaleah likes this
- littlelaur likes this
- tarahmichellev said: Agreed. I can’t watch reality competition shows for the same reason.
- tarahmichellev likes this
- lizmooremusic posted this